Anyone with even a passing interest in the equestrian sporting calendar will know this coming weekend should be when we all make the annual trip to the prestigious Burghley Horse Trials three-day eventing competition. Unfortunately, owing to the current Covid-19 situation, the organisers have taken the tough decision to cancel the 2020 event. It’s a great shame, but for this year, this equestrian extravaganza is going digital, with a special event being brought to you.
Burghley goes digital
As with all sports, competitive eventing has now been given the green light to restart, albeit behind closed doors and without spectators. But it’s come too late for this year’s event to take place. Sadly, it marks the first time since the event began in 1961 that the Trials have been cancelled. So, this year, Burghley’s ‘going digital’ to mark the occasion. But what does that really mean?
Rather than cancel the event completely, Burghley’s organisers opted to bring a special event direct to you. By making this year’s event “a celebration of past, present, and future”, they’ve curated a special, virtual event so you can enjoy a Burghley experience from the comfort of your own sofa – or your garden if the weather holds!
The Burghley online schedule
Starting off with The Burghley Picnic Hamper Competition, here’s what the organisers have in store and what you can expect as you visit the website across the weekend:
- Friday 4th September: Relax & enjoy a sumptuous day of online retail therapy
- Saturday 5th September: Be part of Burghley’s long adventure amongst the huge journey of archive material that will be live here on the website for you to delve into.
- Sunday 6th September:00 pm Clare Balding presents the All-Star Sunday Programme here on the website including:
- Strictly Dressage with the maestro Carl Hester MBE & international Dressage & Eventing Judge Nick Burton
- Sir Mark Todd gives an insight into his new career
- Pippa Funnell talks to us from The Billy Stud
- World No.1, Oliver Townend, reveals how he dealt with lockdown
- Clare Balding talks The Road To Tokyo with Dickie Waygood and Henry Bullen
- Clare Balding meets the new Land Rover Burghley Course Designer, Derek di Grazia, and bids farewell to Captain Mark Phillips as they talk Cross Country.
“Throughout the programme we will be counting down to your Ultimate Burghley Champion (voting now closed) while taking you on a Burghley Odyssey, reflecting on some of the most memorable moments of the Event’s past.”
3 Donkeys show special
Burghley weekend will certainly be a very different event this year. After all, a big part of the event is its atmosphere. Not just with the eventing itself, but the shopping and the wide range of traders who attend every year – including us!
So this year, you’ll have the chance to have a shopping spree without leaving home. Over the whole weekend, you’ll be able to visit all the trader’s online stores and make those all-important purchases for yourself, friends, family, and staff. And, of course, 3 Donkeys will be ‘there’.
Though it won’t be the same – we love seeing everyone face to face, chatting, and enjoying the camaraderie that you can only get at Burghley – but to make this year’s event even more memorable, we’re offering everyone a show special of a 10% discount off every item across the website over the whole weekend.
Join us online
So whether you need our Dartmoor or Classic ladies coveralls or fancy kitting yourself out with some of our awesome 3 Donkeys apparel, including vests, hoodies, and t-shirts, we’re fully stocked and ready to go! You can even grab yourself an exclusive 3 Donkeys face mask to keep you safe when you’re out and about.
So, wherever you are, come and join us for an online Burghley event – and don’t forget your 10% discount on all 3 Donkeys purchases across the whole weekend!
For more information on this year’s virtual event, visit https://burghley-horse.co.uk/. In the meantime, we’re already looking forward to next year’s Land Rover Burghley Weekend from September 1st – 5th 2021. See you there!